Who is eligible to get food?
To qualify to receive food you must meet both criteria:
- Live in Hays County or within the boundaries of the San Marcos or Hays Consolidated Independent School Districts.
- Have a household income at or below the 185% of the Federal Poverty Level (Click for Chart)
- Participation in one of the following government assistance programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP) (free or reduced-price meals)
Have a temporary food emergency such as a natural disaster (eligible for up to 6 months)
Clients must provide name, address, number in household, and signature to be eligible. Certification by meeting the guidelines will remain in effect for one year.
How many times can I come?
Each household can receive food a maximum of two times per week. Please see our distribution schedule to find out when and where you can receive food.
- Each time you attend a Food Bank Distribution, you must show a Photo ID, Proof of Address (a currently dated utility bill or document with your name and street address-no P.O. Boxes) and your Food Bank issued Barcode card (issued at first distribution you attend).
- Be prepared to give the ages of each person in the household, monthly household income, and reason for visit.
All information on the Client Profile will be updated in our system every six months.
You will also want to bring a bag or a box to carry your food in. Please see our distribution schedule for all guidelines.
For more information, please call (512) 392-8300.